|Economy of Social Policy||
Social Work - 4. semester
|Lecturer in charge||Consultations||Location|
|prof. dr. sc. Zdenko Babić||
|Nazorova 51, room 15|
|REQUIRED: J. Le Grand, C. Propper, R. Robinson; The Economics of Social Problems; Palgrave Macmillan (2008), str. (Poglavlja: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, te poglavlja 9 i 10|
|REQUIRED: P.G. Rosner; The Economics of Social Policy; Edward Elgar (2003), str. 1-79, 277-340|
|RECOMMENDED: P.A. Samuelson, W. Nordhaus; Ekonomija; MATE (2005), str. 25-45, 382-400, 577-587|
|RECOMMENDED: N. Barr; The Economics of the Welfare State; Weidenfeld i Nicolson (1993)|
The course aims to introduce the students to economic theory and models that consider economic implications of the welfare state, social policy measures and state intervention in market economies. Thus the relations between market solutions, economic efficiency and social and economic welfare of society will be analysed. The emphasis will be placed on recent theories and models, and on scientific findings that explain the relations between functioning of social policy and economic and social development in more detail. The concept of social economy will be explained, as well as its significance in the European context with the implications for Croatia.
1. Schools of political and economic thought and social issues.
2. Value aspect of social state: social justice, equality and efficiency.
3. Market failures and imperfect competition ? arguments for state intervention
4. Income distribution and economic inequalities
5. State interventions into social policy programs.
6. Economic theory of insurance. Private and public insurance model.
7. Social programs ? monetary transfers: types, advantages, disadvantages.
8. Social programs ? goods and services: types, advantages, disadvantages.
9. Models of social state and poverty.
10. Overindebtedness, underdevelopment and poverty.
11. Managing personal finances and social welfare.
12. Social economy.
13. The role of economic and social policy in encouraging growth and development.
Copyright 2023 - Pravni fakultet, Sveučilište u Zagrebu, sva prava pridržana.