17th Dubrovnik Jean Monnet Seminar ‘Advanced Issues of European Law’
Topic: ‘The Rule of Law in the EU and the USA’
14-18 April 2019
Inter University Center, Dubrovnik
The 17th session of the Jean Monnet Seminar will focus on the topic “The Rule of Law in the EU and the USA”.
Paper proposals may cover a variety of topics including, but not limited to:
- the understanding of the concept of the rule of law by different actors: political institutions at the supranational, international and national level, courts, and citizens,
- comparative approaches to the concept of the rule of law,
- the practical use of the ‘rule of law’,
- the role of different institutions and the instruments for upholding the rule of law,
- the role of courts, especially the Court of Justice of the European Union, in safeguarding the rule law,
- the rule of law as applied to courts, and
- the main causes of the rule of law crisis in the EU and the USA and its repercussions on the global level.
Structure of the Seminar
The Seminar entails two parts – talks by prominent speakers (professors and CJEU members) and presentations by PhD candidates and early-career academics.
Organisers welcome junior researchers interested in presenting a paper dealing with the topic of the Seminar. Candidates are invited to apply by submitting a paper proposal (500 words max) and a CV by 31 January 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Accepted candidates will be invited to submit their papers for publication in the Croatian Yearbook of European Law & Policy (coming out in December 2019).
A limited number of grants will be available.
Michal Bobek, Advocate General, Court of Justice of the European Union
Monica Claes, Maastricht University
Tamara Ćapeta, University of Zagreb
Piet Eeckhout, UCL European Institute (tbc)
Iris Goldner Lang, University of Zagreb
Zdeněk Kühn, Charles Univeristy, Prague
Adam Łazowski, University of Westminster
Tamara Perišin, University of Zagreb
Donald Regan, University of Michigan
Siniša Rodin, Judge, Court of Justice of the European Union
For submitting paper proposals and CVs please, as well as for all information about the Seminar, please contact us at email@example.com.
The Dubrovnik Seminar is organized by the EU Law Department of the University of Zagreb Faculty of Law. The seminar is financed with the support of the University of Zagreb Faculty of Law, Hanns-Seidel-Stiftung, the Erasmus+ Programme and several Croatian law offices.